After a lengthy and in depth tender process, Megapro Holdings, through its division Megaview, was awarded the contract to provide state-of-the-art, multi-disciplinary LED big screens at four of the major cricket stadia in SA, namely:
- Bidvest Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
- PPC Newlands, Cape Town
- SuperSport Park, Centurion
- St George`s Park, Port Elizabeth
The screens have replaced the old scoreboards that where installed prior to the 2003 Cricket World Cup. Each of the four fully HD screens, designed and produced to withstand all weather conditions, are in excess of 200 square meters – that’s one thousand times larger than your average 65″ home TV!
They are the largest in-stadia screens in the southern hemisphere and the largest of any screens utilised by the major cricketing nations, something that no other country can boast.
These screens will enhance the already impressive 360 degree LED advertising solution Megaview provided to Cricket South Africa three years ago. The software installed is operated via a touch screen control panel and allows for a fully interactive screen, which opens up a host of opportunities for fan engagement and commercial applications. The screens, which well exceed ICC and CSA requirements, can be used for multiple purposes – a giant video screen, billboard, scoreboard and also for concerts and events hosted in stadia, enhancing the fan’s overall experience.
The screens utilise “Go Green” technology, which ensures minimum power consumption to operate each screen.
Some interesting facts:
- Weight: 6,5 tons
- Size: 26m wide x 8m high (208 square meters)
- Brightness: 7000 Nits, ensures clear visibility in direct sunlight, perfect for cricket
The turnkey solution provided by Megaview includes:
- The manufacture, supply, installation and commissioning of four ‘Go Green’ (eco-friendly), Full HD, 208 square meter outdoor LED screens
- The supply and installation of a complete Content Management solution, utilizing state of the art 4K resolution broadcast standard, control and production equipment
- The retrofit and upgrading of existing stadia infrastructure including steel structures, electrical grid and control rooms
- Five year on-site support and maintenance schedule
Simon Franklin, COO at Megapro had this to say, “We are very proud of the screens we commissioned on behalf of Cricket South Africa. Aside from being the largest of their kind in Africa and the southern hemisphere, they have been produced and installed with every efficiency in mind. They are designed to be multi-purpose and in doing so, providing the cricket fans and in fact, spectators at any event taking place in these stadia, with a truly world class in stadium experience.”
“The screens open up a world of opportunity for the stadium owners as they can now deliver a massive interactive platform to any potential event owner. Recognition must go to Project Manager Dino Madhav and his team for the hard work that went into delivering yet another milestone project for Megaview”, added Franklin.
The entire project spanned a six month period and the fulfilment, done by Megapro Holding’s company Megaview SA, is yet another feather in the cap for the leading LED supplier and operator of in stadia and sport LED operations in South Africa.
IMAGE– RAM SLAM T20, BIZHUB HIGHVELD LIONS VS WSB CAPE COBRAS AT BIDVEST WANDERERS 17 NOVEMBER 2017